The powerful symbolism of Humanium Metal has created a platform to elevate the discussion of gun violence, which has too often been underrepresented in international forums on disarmament. Humanium Metal’s transformation on commodities for violence into commodities for peace creates a tangible connection between global audiences and the communities affected by gun violence. That connection allows Humanium Metal to foster discussions about the devastating impact of gun violence on induviduals and communities around the world. The potency of that symbol was recognized and amplified when the United Nations Permanent Exhibition on Disarmament included several Humanium Metal products.
Humanium Metal uses this platform by connecting the voices of right-holders, civil society organizations, communities affected by gun violence, governments, businesses and consumers to advocate for international action to stop gun violence. Humanium Metal’s innovative model brings voices to international forums on disarmament and gun violence that would otherwise be excluded and amplifies them by connecting their voices together.
Humanium Metal’s international advocacy calls for:
- Increased and timely destruction of illegal weapons.
- Adequate support for survivors of gun violence so they can exercise their rights fully (including access to health care, livelihood opportunities and education).
- Incorporation of provisions for violence prevention into each country’s national action plans towards the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Countries to join and implement the Arms Trade Treaty and the United Nations Programme of Action on Small Arms and Light Weapons fully.
- Ensure that diverse perspectives of all gender, race/ethnic, age, and LGBT communities are considered in implementation of treaties, national security and development plans.